Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Food and Thought

Now, that's more like it! ;)
My blog is one of the home pages on my desktop computer. Every time I get online thinking I'll try to write a post, I groan as I see the last post - my favorite French toast recipe! I groan, but then I laugh.

At least for the next month or so, I am on a strict diet to try to get my thyroid and liver numbers in line. I have a feeling by the time I have gotten used to not eating inflammatory-type foods including dairy, gluten, tomatoes, refined sugar and starch, my eating habits are going to be permanently altered. My doctor-recommended-eating plan starts with at least 6 to 8 half-cup servings of vegetables every day. Thankfully, I like vegetables! Most often, I sprinkle them with salt and pepper and drizzle a bit of Avocado or Olive oil on them and bake them or pan-fry them. Yum! But, back to my point, I must write a blog post today, if for nothing else, to avoid seeing the French toast picture every time I click on my blog!

On a more serious note, I have spent a lot of time in recent days listening to talk-radio and reading articles online about our political situation. My heart is heavy.

I tend to step back and look at the bigger picture rather than focus on the details of what is happening at the moment. I am convinced that much of what we are facing is a result of denying the nature of man.

Our culture has rejected a Creator to whom we are accountable. By so doing, we have no way to define ourselves. There is no objective standard by which we can guide our thinking or our behavior. We are, as though, ships at sea with no anchor and no navigational plan, tossed about by the waves of our whims, often crashing into one another as those whims bring conflict of wills. And without a framework, we have no way of resolving our differences. It's just a matter of who has the most power at the moment.

We have talked a lot about the nature of evil in our Bible studies at church. We have learned that evil is in the human will. And until each of us surrenders our will back to the God who gave it, seeking to do what He would advise, we will continue to have conflict.

It follows, in my understanding, that much of failed parenting flows from a lack of understanding human nature. Parents don't see evil for what it is. And then of course children grow up with the same philosophy and move into the work world until it is now prevalent thought that people are basically good. How misguided and devastating to a society. (For parenting ideas from a Biblical perspective, check out this link.)

May God help us return to being a nation that is built upon Biblical principles. Unless we do, there is not much hope for our beloved country.

No comments:

Post a Comment