Friday, January 13, 2017

Our Favorite French Toast Recipe


3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup whole milk at room temperature
3 large eggs at room temperature
1 1/2 Tablespoons of sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
A pinch of salt
A loaf of Wheat French bread  

(We prefer French toast that is not soggy, so a narrow loaf at Walmart, sliced about a half-inch thick, works perfectly for our preference. I forgot to take a picture this morning, but I'll update the picture the next time I make this recipe. This pic shows slices quite a bit bigger than we make and soggier. It's too soggy for us if it collapses in the middle. I guess we are pretty picky about our French toast.)

I use a heavy-duty, nonstick Scanpan that heats evenly and doesn't burn items easily so that I can leave the toast in longer and get a nice carameled edge. 

Heat up your skillet until it's nice and hot. Then turn the heat to medium. 

While it heats, melt butter in microwave, and then combine melted butter, milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk until sugar and salt are dissolved. Transfer the mixture to a 9 x 13 glass dish. 

My skillet is big enough for about eight slices, so I put all eight slices in the mixture and soak, turning once, for a total of a minute or two. 

Melt some butter in your skillet and place slices of soaked French bread in the skillet. Cook, turning once, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.

Serve with warm, maple syrup along with a nice piece of sausage or a couple's strips of bacon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment