Monday, February 1, 2016

Master's Monday: Speak the Truth in Love

This weekend I was privileged to attend the Developing a Christian Mind conference here at Oxford, which I understand to be the only one of its kind in the world. Christian students and professors came together from all over the university to discuss how we can better integrate our faith and our scholarship. Im sure many of the themes we covered will come up in future posts, but for today I just wanted to share with you the one that sticks out most immediately in my mind, and that I believe I can begin applying to my own life right away. Although it was rarely stated explicitly, underlying almost every lecture and discussion session was the challenge that we seek everyday to speak the truth in love,” as the Apostle Paul encourages us in Ephesians 4:15. 

 

Truth and love. What a powerful duo of concepts. And how difficult it is to hold the two in balance with each other! I imagine we each have our own weaknesses and strengths in this area. I probably tend to be much more blatantly (and even unlovingly) truthful when speaking of people and issues far removed from my own daily sphere. It can be easy to let truth fall by the wayside and privilege a lop-sided manifestation of love” when looking a friend or colleague in the face. Perhaps others find the opposite true for them. Whichever way your personality leans, I pray this week we both will seek wisdom and humility from God so that we can better share both of these eternally-valuable gifts with a world who needs them so desperately.

 

~ LaRae ~

No comments:

Post a Comment