Thursday, February 18, 2016

Blueberry White Chocolate Chip Scones



We never tire of these. I've tweaked them several times over the years. This is my most recent version. It is more moist than the last one I posted and therefore much easier to work with. These freeze well too. When I freeze them, I don't ice them until after reheating. I thaw them over night on the counter and then microwave for about 25 seconds after which I place them in the toaster oven on a light toast setting. Then I ice them, and they taste like they're fresh from the oven.

 Blueberry White Chocolate Chip Scones

3 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 sticks butter, cut into small pieces
 Mix first four ingredients and then cut butter in with pastry blender or food processor with blade until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

1 egg, lightly beaten
milk
1 T. lemon peel
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 white chocolate chips

 Lightly beat one egg and then add enough milk to beaten egg to equal not quite a cup of liquid. Add lemon peel. Add the liquid to the coarse butter-flour mixture until blended and then add 1/2 cup white chocolate chips. Don't overwork dough. At the last moment, mix in 1 cup blueberries and pat dough out on a floured surface in a circle about an inch thick.
Using pizza cutter, cut into 8 equal-sized triangles.

Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes.

Icing:
Mix up 1 C. confectioners sugar
2 T. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Drizzle on each one right before eating.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. We love these scones - I'll have to try the new version. I made these for my MIL and I and we ate them and drank tea while watching William and Kate's wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what fun! So glad you all enjoy them too, Marianne! Thanks for letting me know. :)

      Delete