Monday, October 5, 2015

Master's Monday: by LaRae


Hello there! Most of you who have been reading my mom’s blog for a while now know that I have recently arrived in Oxford to pursue my master’s degree in Ancient Greek Language and Literature. Hence the title of today’s post.

If, however, my newly acquired academic status were the only reason behind the glaring alliteration, I readily admit the corniness that would be inevitable. If you will bear with me for a moment or two, however, I do have in mind a rather more serious meaning that I would like to share with you.

I have recently been inspired by what I understand is called the TGIM movement. Perhaps you haven’t heard of it? Most of us are more familiar with the acronym TGIF, “Thank God It’s Friday,” and most of us can readily sympathize with the variety of feelings it encompasses. Throughout most of my college experience, I participated readily in the celebratory Friday spirit: “What a relief! A whole weekend to relax! I just hope it doesn’t go by too fast!” (though it always did).

I’m certainly not trying to say that there’s anything wrong with rest and relaxation. Jesus said that the Sabbath was made for man, and science has shown that a day of rest is one of the best ways to maintain one’s alertness and energy throughout the rest of the week. What I have been challenged to consider lately, however, is that perhaps there is a better way of thinking about our days of labor, a spirit which replaces TGIF with TGIM, “Thank God It’s Monday.”

When we consider the great and glorious purposes for which we believe God has created us—namely, to act as His hands and feet, as the limbs of His body in this world, in His magnificent workings for the redemption of His creation—and when we learn to hold every mundane activity in the light of this truly awesome objective, should we not give thanks for the opportunity to work and study for His name’s sake, at least as much as we thank Him for the periods of rest He has given us?

From my understanding, TGIM has mostly remained in the business sector so far. Because of where I am at the moment, I would like to see it promoted more often among those of us still pursuing our education. Sometimes it can be a bit daunting to hold the “kingdom view” in mind while struggling to solve algebraic equations, dissect a stinky pig, or translate an unbelievably complicated Latin phrase. And of course, Monday morning is generally one of the most challenging.

In order to combat this negative spirit that can so easily weigh us down, I want to encourage everyone, regardless of what stage you are at in your career or education, to join with me as I commit to thank my Heavenly Father each Monday morning for the opportunity to bring His name a good reputation and to promote His kingdom through my daily duties. Let’s dedicate even our Mondays to our true Master.

No comments:

Post a Comment