Friday, June 26, 2015

The Church's Condition: Part of the Problem



These are delightfully busy days for me. I'm enjoying every moment with LaRae and Rachelle while they are home for the summer. We have many projects going. The girls are teaching violin, tutoring Latin, writing, reading, enjoying time with family and friends, learning more languages--LaRae will soon spend a month abroad getting 5 hours of credit for German since she needs to be able to read German fluently for her research in the fall. It's a busy summer, but a joy-filled one.

However, it is with sadness that I write a few thoughts this morning. Not about my life or the girls or any of my family or friends...

No, my sad thoughts are about my country and about the Christian church in America. 

How far America has strayed from her roots. The Supreme Court decisions over the past two days leave me grieving over the good we continue to trample.

I've known for a long time that, if there isn't a major shift back to integrity and virtue, destruction is bound to come.

Sadly, we are where we are in a large part because of the lost condition of organized Christianity.

Christians have lived after the flesh in nearly every aspect. 

For years we have embraced the world's definitions of love, beauty, and goodness. We have disregarded God's wisdom and guidance. We have pursued the empty pleasures the world offers, and we are likely only beginning to reap what we have sown.

We have helped bring about the disintegration of marriage as we have accepted the world's idea that love is about personal pleasure and happiness. We have helped bring about the disregard for gender distinction by cross-dressing and buying into the idea that there aren't naturally good roles for women and naturally good roles for men. We have helped dumb down careful, thoughtful thinking as we have embraced government-controlled mass education and joined the world in their mad obsession with ballgames and movies and every imaginable physical pleasure.

Rachelle's recent poem (my last post) says much more than some realize. Her poem wasn't about the mercy of God, though we are certainly thankful for His mercy. No, it was about the low level of living for which the church has settled. We don't live as sons of God crying, "Abba, not my will but thine be done." We don't act like His sons, we don't look like His sons, we don't think like His sons. 

As a whole, the church has forsaken its purpose.

The scripture is full of a message that is distinctly different from what we hear in the typical church week after week.

If we don't start carefully studying and living out the message of Jesus and his disciples, we have little hope of turning our nation back to Christ-centered goodness.

I recommit myself to life in the Kingdom of God--not just in the next world, but at this moment in the midst of this lost society.

My hope remains in His eternal Kingdom. Jesus said He brought that Kingdom to any of us who will trust Him and pursue being a part of what God is doing. I take my stand beside Him, and my eyes and ears and mind are open to hear His instruction as I study His life and teaching.

I'm well aware that I can be part of the problem. I will continue to examine my own life to see what needs to be changed, and then with His help, I will walk after His spirit with all that is in me.


No comments:

Post a Comment