1 T olive oil
1 (6 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms
2 T unsalted butter
1 med. onion, diced
2 med. garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 pound ground beef
3 T flour
1 tsp paprika
1/4 cup white cooking wine
4 C beef broth
1/2 tsp salt, plus more as needed
1/8 tsp pepper
1 (16 ounce) package dried egg noodles
3/4 C sour cream
1/2 tsp parsley
1. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until simmering. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring rarely, until browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Reduce the heat to medium and add the butter. When butter has melted, add onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the beef, season with salt and pepper, and break the meat into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until it's just cooked through and no longer pink, about 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Sprinkle in the flour and paprika, stir to coat the meat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the raw flavor has cooked off the flour, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits that have accumulated on the bottom of the pot, until almost evaporated, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the broth, measured salt, and measured pepper and stir to combine. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a simmer.
4. Add the noodles and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until noodles are just cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream. Sprinkle with parsley.
We enjoyed this Stroganoff with a strawberry jello salad--posted here--and green beans. I recommend it!