Thursday, February 5, 2015

For My Daddy, A Noble Knight



This poem is especially for my Daddy. 

He is a noble knight. 

At eighty-one, he is teachable and is learning and growing in his understanding of God and life. I want to be like that at eighty-one.

He doesn't complain about his weakening limbs that don't work very well anymore. A walker for him? Are you kidding? He wouldn't think of it! 

He still crawls in and out of his log skidder. How? We don't know.

When he walks, it looks like he is balancing on a high-wire; his legs want to buckle under him. 


Not long ago he was waiting for my brother to arrive at the woods to cut trees. He decided, "I think I'll try to cut one down before he gets here." (Keith does the cutting now. It's really too dangerous for Dad.) Dad started the saw and began cutting. Pretty soon he thought it was ready to fall and it looked like it might fall his way, so he threw the running saw as far as he could and took off as fast as his legs would take him. They don't work well--like I told you--and he fell. He says he has learned "to roll" when he falls. So, he rolled as far as he could to get out of reach of the tree, and when he stopped--on his back--he looked up and saw the tree wasn't falling after all. He lay there and laughed. We are thankful he wasn't hurt but cannot help smiling at his unconquerable energy of spirit. 

Dad keeps working. He keeps laughing. He keeps smiling, showing those new false teeth and those twinkling, ornery eyes that tell you how much he loves life. He keeps trying to contribute something of value to everyone around him. He loves to help others. He wants the best for everyone. And most of all, He wants to know and be known by God.

For Dad: From G. K. Chesterton's The Wild Knight:

So, with the wan waste grasses on my spear,
I ride for ever, seeking after God.
My hair grows whiter than my thistle plume,
And all my limbs are loose; but in my eyes
The star of an unconquerable praise:
For in my soul one hope for ever sings,
That at the next white corner of a road
My eyes may look on Him....



Love you, Daddy,

No comments:

Post a Comment