Thursday, January 29, 2015

If You Want to Succeed In Life



"If you want to succeed in life, if you want to accomplish things of value with your life, if you want to be used of God, you must prepare yourself." 

As a young girl, I heard those words again and again from my parents. They said the words, and then they insisted that I apply myself to my studies and my music practice.

I looked around at many of my friends in church and acquaintances from school. Observing all their playtime, all the fun they had, I thought to myself, "They have so much fun; I wish I could do some of the exciting things they do!"

It wasn't that we never had any fun in our home. My Daddy was full of fun! We never had T.V.--didn't need one with my Dad around--but it was a different kind of fun, and the thrills on the other side of the fence appeared a lot more enticing to my inexperienced eyes.

Years have passed. Now I am a product of the home I was raised in. I am benefiting from the diligence my parents insisted I pursue. The lessons I learned in childhood, those hours of practice, those tough times of sticking to the task--even when it got hard--have shaped me. They continue to shape the next generation. We all owe much.

It seems to be the human condition, this desiring the product without the process, the reward without the work, the glory without the grueling grind of daily consistent discipline.

No matter where we are in life, there is always the temptation to avoid the tough stuff. May God help each of us do our duty, carry our cross, and stick to our assigned tasks no matter how hard they are, so that we can succeed, so that we can accomplish things of value, so that we can be used by Him for His purposes.



~Reposted from April 7, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment