Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Update on Rachelle and The Beauty of Jesus


Several have asked lately about Rachelle.

She's enjoying her sophomore year at Hillsdale. Though she's a "homebody" and at times would just as soon be home, she is at peace that she is where she should be. Taking at least twenty hours, she has four main classes including Great Books, Greek, Latin, and Continental Literature. She has a firearms class--yes, that one makes me grin, orchestra, choir, and private violin, voice, and piano. She is also tutoring Latin, will soon start teaching her first two violin students, is on a board of editors for the college's student publication of poetry and short stories (The Tower Light), as well as being secretary for a student club and musical society called Camerata. They rehearse and perform chamber music.

She studied over the summer and got through the first year of Greek on her own so that she could join the 3rd semester class. Her professor told me last weekend, "You'd never know she wasn't in the first year class with us." I don't understand this ability. I could never do what either of our girls do, but I am thankful! I believe God has a place for each one of us, and we are all unique and equally valuable. Isn't He good and wise!?

These days are busy for me as I teach piano (and a little voice) to a few of the children and youth from our church and continue directing the music for church, along with helping out on various projects for Curt's office and a variety of other things. Never a dull moment! I've been practicing more myself to better demonstrate things I teach, and it feels good to get some patterns back into my hands that had somewhat slipped over the years while I poured my energy and time into our girls.

Life is rich and full, and no matter what comes, the hope I have in Jesus colors and shapes everything. I was singing yesterday, preparing a song for Sunday, and I found myself altering the words of an old favorite song, "Be Still," from an Evie album. The chorus goes something like, "So few of you stop-- to hear the birds, stop-- to smell the fragrance in the air..." There have been times when I was quite enchanted with the beauty of the earth, and I often still find myself soaking it in, enjoying it as the our-pouring of God's love for me. But as I sang yesterday, the beauty of the earth just wasn't grabbing me like it sometimes does. I was focused on the beauty of the life of Jesus. I looked at those words and thought, The birds are nice. Good smells in the air are nice. But there is nothing to compare to the beauty, the aroma of Jesus and of His surrendered spirit emanating from another human being! I altered the words and will sing them this way Sunday morning.

Be still and know that I am God
I'm right here by your side
Be still and know that I am God
And in My love abide

So few of you
Stop-
To hear my words
Oh-oh stop-
To sense my fragrance
In the air

My Kingdom is
Within you
Be still
And find Me there

My peace
I've given you
My child
The world would steal it away
So seek My face
And read my Word
Then listen and obey

So few of you
Stop-
To hear my words
Oh-oh stop-
To sense my fragrance
In the air

My Kingdom is
Within you
Be still
And find Me there

Oh be still
Be still
Be still
I'll meet you there

What a way to live!

No comments:

Post a Comment