Thursday, April 10, 2014

Why I Blog


I'm convinced the journey of life is a challenge to be embraced. Some take the challenge. Some work to avoid it.

I often blog about things I've come to some closure on rather than things I'm continuing to wrestle with, but lest there ever be any false impressions, I wish to clarify.

I have struggles.

I have situations, concepts, habits, characteristics I am working my way through, seeking wisdom and understanding and transformation.

There are things that concern me, things I cannot fix, things I have to choose hard to trust God with.

I get heavy-hearted sometimes. I try to not burden the rest of the world with feelings I know will come and go. I try to carefully choose what I share about friends and family so as not to "expose" another person's struggles.

You don't hear much about my tears, my frustrations, my disappointments when I'm working my way through them. Generally, if I share about them, it's after I've overcome, found a way through, learned something from them.

Facebook and the blog world are sometimes condemned as places for fake fronts, fabrication of falsehoods, and empty fluff. I want no part of fake, false, or fluff. I was raised by real people. I live among real people. I love to be with real people. I aim to be a real person.

That said, when you spend most of your time aggressively embracing the challenge of life--for nearly 30 years I've done so since I woke up at about 20--you begin to have at least a little bit of understanding that you hope will benefit someone else.

I often relate my blogging to diaries and biographies which have taught me much about life. My motive is not to display some false image or to build up my ego. Emptiness reigns there.

My husband often quotes a poem at his Estate Planning workshops for perspective clients. This poem reflects my mindset as a blogger.

The Bridge Builder

BY WILL ALLEN DROMGOOLE
An old man going a lone highway,
Came, at the evening cold and gray,
To a chasm vast and deep and wide.
Through which was flowing a sullen tide
The old man crossed in the twilight dim,
The sullen stream had no fear for him;
But he turned when safe on the other side
And built a bridge to span the tide.

“Old man,” said a fellow pilgrim near,
“You are wasting your strength with building here;
Your journey will end with the ending day,
You never again will pass this way;
You’ve crossed the chasm, deep and wide,
Why build this bridge at evening tide?”

The builder lifted his old gray head;
“Good friend, in the path I have come,” he said,
“There followed after me to-day
A youth whose feet must pass this way.
This chasm that has been as naught to me
To that fair-haired youth may a pitfall be;
He, too, must cross in the twilight dim;
Good friend, I am building this bridge for him!”

I pray those who read my blog will find some bridges across at least small caverns which still might be treacherous and destructive for them had they not read. I pray the things I share will motivate others to embrace the challenge of this journey we call life.

Only because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment