These are my favorite waffles so far!
2 cups flour
2 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
2 1/4 cups buttermilk
3 T unsalted butter melted
(plus room temperature butter for serving)
3 large eggs separated, at room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup small frozen blueberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat a regular (not Belgian) waffle iron.
2. In a bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg yolks, melted butter, and vanilla.
Add to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Batter will be lumpy.
4. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
Scoop the egg whites into the batter and using a whisk, gently fold them in evenly.
5. Fold in chopped pecans and frozen blueberries. (I get the small wild blueberries in the freezer department at Walmart. They are sweeter and work better in a waffle than the big ones.)
Serve waffles with butter and piping hot maple syrup.