Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Happiness


I'm enjoying time with my sweetheart this week.
It was hard to say goodbye to our girls on Sunday when they headed back to school,
but flying out to be away from home for a week to spend quiet time with Curt
(when he is not in continuing ed) has been helpful.

I feel stronger physically each day and am deeply grateful for that.

We were walking down the walkway in Downtown Disney last night arm in arm.
I commented as we paused to listen to an incredibly talented acoustic guitarist how
thankful I am to have learned to take happiness with me wherever I go.
Curt knows what I'm talking about. He too has found how that works.

When I was younger, I hadn't learned the secret of lasting happiness.
I thought that vacations, time with certain people, shopping, parties or certain events, 
yummy foods or drinks, all sorts of things I thought would make me happy,
but they didn't. They can't. 

I wish it weren't so hard a lesson to learn. We saw a lot of unhappy people
as we walked through the crowd last night. It was obvious they were experiencing
the emptiness their false expectations had produced. I remember well how that feels and I ached for them. 
I"m so thankful to have learned the source of continual happiness.

Thank You, Father, for loving us so much and for teaching us when we seek Your guidance.

I pray you too, my dear reader, have found the secret of lasting happiness.


God can't give us peace and happiness apart from Himself because there is no such thing. C. S. Lewis



No comments:

Post a Comment