Tuesday, November 12, 2013

We Must Never Forget We Are In A Battle

It's at times like this, I look at this picture of my precious daughters, and I remind myself
of one reason I must be faithful to my heavenly Father.
I want to spend forever with them!

Deep sadness.

In recent days the betrayal of the Vision Forum Ministry leadership has been exposed. Vision Forum has now become an organization of the past.

Did I agree with what Doug Phillips taught? On many issues, no, I did not. But Vision Forum helped promote some Biblical values that needed to be promoted in our lost and confused culture. And now, literally thousands of people will be affected by the choice of one man to pursue an illegitimate desire of his flesh. There will be grave consequences. There always are consequences to choices we make.

I ache for his wife and for his children and even for the "other woman." I wonder if his power and prestige made her ignorantly vulnerable to his advances? I pity him as well. Surely he must not have had a proper understanding of his make-up... that he is flesh and that he is spirit and that the flesh puts forces on him that he must refuse to follow as a true Christian. I fear his theology which defines sin in a way that leaves a potential out is like a path filled with land mines one will eventually step on and explode.

I am praying for this family. I am praying for those looking on. I am praying for his followers. May the errors in his teaching be recognized yet the truth he espoused not be discarded. There are reasons he did what he did. It didn't just happen. And he isn't Jesus. Those who rail on Christianity because of failures like this are simply dishonest or ignorant of reality.

When I am sad, I read the Word. When I am happy, I read the Word. When I am hungry for the real, I read the Word. When I am confused, I read the Word. When I need perspective, insight, or encouragement, I read the Word.

"We look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:18

Therefore also we have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. 2 Corinthians 5: 9-10

So it is with the fear of the Lord before us that we try to persuade people. Moreover, God knows us as we really are; and I hope that in your consciences you too know us as we really are." 2 Corinthians 5:11

Sometimes we read things people write about us and we are stunned that they don't have a clue who we really are. I have shared my thoughts about this situation (as best I understand it) hoping to help someone gain perspective, hope, clarity, be challenged to ask questions and find answers, or just be encouraged to walk carefully themselves. Many of us know, as long as we live in this vessel of flesh we are in a battle, and we must never forget it.


No comments:

Post a Comment