Friday, August 30, 2013

Empty Nest - Cozy Abode


The days have gently slipped by.

Organizing, putting things in place, discarding, 
sharing with others what we no longer need, 
this has been a profitable week for me.

Curt was away at Farm Progress Show,
and so it was just me and the house.

Of course, numerous dear friends and family members
wrote me encouraging notes. Several invited me to supper.
The girls texted often, called at least once a day, 
and Face-timed some. 

I'm blessed.

This morning was my first (empty nest) meal with Curt.
I set up a cozy corner where we could eat and play games.
I enjoyed our breakfast for two.
After all, we are best friends.
We share so many values and perspectives;
talking and sharing our thoughts with each other is as natural as breathing.

Someone recently asked me for the list of questions Curt and I 
came up with when we were getting to know each other. 
I found a PDF copy and read through them.
It was fascinating to recall all the issues we worked through
before we were married. I'm so glad we did!

Have we had to learn some things along the way? Absolutely.
We tried to understand ourselves and come to oneness of mind
as best we could, but that process is still going on. 

I'm deeply grateful that my husband is committed to pursuing truth,
and that as he has understood himself and God, he has faced every
issue and surrendered fully to the will of God.
Did I say, "I'm blessed"?

One of the keys to our continual growth is the people we have surrounded ourselves with.
Our church family is a constant encouragement; they motivate and challenge us in our walk with God!
Thank you, precious fellow-believers!

Thank You, Abba, for helping us. We do not know specifically how much You have been involved in the details of our choices and blessings, but we thank You, because we are convinced, from the message that Jesus brought, that You deeply care. We believe You do protect and guide as needed, and we are ever grateful.


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. It touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely comment on Laura's blog, but have to today. As I interact with parents of young children and hear the struggles everyone faces in today's culture, I just want them to know: every ounce of sincere effort you put into methodically pointing your children to what is good, right, wholesome, beautiful, and ultimately God-pleasing and Jesus-following, will repay rich dividends. Guiding children toward maturity and self-control requires consistent, intentional, focused effort.

    I have absolutely no regrets for those investments made in my children; my only regrets (concerning my children) are when I think of time or effort I could have invested and didn't. More significantly (thank you Lord) I have been blessed to "partner" with Laura in this project, the most diligent and dedicated mother I can imagine. She is a role model worthy I can recommend to any young mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Laura!

    I haven't been by in ages, but one of the first things I see when I make a spontaneous visit today is the words "Empty Nest." I will say a prayer for you both. I don't even like to think about our son graduating, because I can't imagine my day not being filled with raising him. But I know that God will prepare me for that day, in baby steps. I know there will be tears and sadness, but I hope there will also be joy. Blessings to you and yours! I will try to come visit again before long and see what you are up to! Oh, and congratulations to your entire family for a long journey well done! =)

    ReplyDelete