Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Face of Evil


Audio books have helped pass time productively as we have traveled many hours on the road lately.
Rachelle and I started through Narnia a couple of months ago on our St. Louis trips, and after our recent  college visits/auditions, we are almost through the entire six books. 

I am reminded once again of C.S. Lewis's perception and how he so capably communicates through his writing skills. What a creative and perceptive mind!

Not long ago at church, we discussed "The Face of Evil." As we dug into trying to understand and get a better grasp on it, we came to the conclusion (as I understood it) that the root of evil is the human will choosing to exert itself over others selfishly. Wow! Who of us hasn't done that?! 

When you consider, though, the most hideous acts in human history are rooted in this very reality. Think of Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Herod the Great, on and on we could go. When you cut through all the surface stuff, you can see (at the root) a human will choosing to accomplish, by whatever means it takes, his way, his will  without regard or care for others or God.

Kind of sobering, isn't it? Could it be that simple? The most heinous acts in history are that "close" to everyone of us? It certainly makes me want to be even more careful to pay attention to what I'm doing to my family, my friends, and even passersby. Does my will need to prevail?  Certainly not without careful consideration for others and for God.

I pray God will check me anytime I'm headed down a path anywhere near this, for I want to stay as far as possible away from the face of evil!

I bow before our Maker, 
and I reach my hand out to each of my brothers and sisters--you! 
May we together seek His will and only the best for each other.

Have a blessed weekend.

4 comments:

  1. I do understand your point... However, I must dispute your statement "the root of evil is..." The Bible says, "For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." The Bible clearly says that the root of ALL evil is money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure whether it is worth disagreeing over, here, Patricia. But, even the passage you quote does not say what you said: "the root of ALL evil is money."
    The Bible says "the LOVE OF money is the root of all evil." And actually, what is the love of money, but a broad statement of wanting what I want, no matter how it affects others? In any culture, money is a means to get what we think we want. With enough money you can have about anything in the material world. With enough money...who can thwart our will? Money is the means to exert our will, the love of money is the preoccupation with exerting our will.

    The "root" is a figurative way of saying something like this. I don't think she is disagreeing with the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to do that.

    Thanks to my Curt as well. ;)

    Patty, Curt and I have spent much time in discussion and study of the Bible together and with friends at church. So, there's really nothing I'd add to what he wrote. Hopefully, what he explained helps you better see from where I was coming. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your reply! I did mean to write at the end of my statement that the love of money is the root of all evil. Jesus said,"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon." If one would did dig deep enough behind all evil is the love of money. Some examples: Abortion,murder,theft,fraud,extortion.Just my thoughts! :-)Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete