Thursday, November 29, 2012

What is A Truth-Seeker?

I love this picture! Isn't it just extra happy? My daughter, LaRae, loves old trucks like this, so when I found this picture on a box of cards at Walmart, it gained a special place in my heart.  I'm really too busy to blog today, but so many thoughts have been whirling around in my head, and for too long I've put off getting them down, so I decided to take a few minutes and write. Yesterday I mentioned that I love to spend time with people who are "searching for truth." That statement can be taken so glibly, and I think it often is. We humans are so easily capable of deceiving ourselves. We know the idea of searching for truth sounds pretty good. We want to respect ourselves, and so, yes, we think, I'm a truth-seeker. Unless we have someone in our lives (or several someones--in my case!) who question us about such things, we are most likely to simply accept and relax in this perception of ourselves even if the reality of our choices points to the contrary.  We miss out on so much if we don't honestly live as seekers of truth.
As I examine myself, I ask, what does it mean to be "searching for truth?" What signs should I look for that would tell me I'm actually doing it?
 
From my understanding, a "truth-seeker" is someone who has released his will, his desire for any particular outcome in answers to life's questions. He believes that there is ultimate truth, that God is the source of it, and that Jesus Christ is the form God took through which to communicate truth.
 
A truth-seeker must be willing to question anything he presently holds as true. He cannot have a "my precious," an untouchable, anything that he holds as true and will not reconsider even when new information is presented.
 
If I want something so badly to be true that I am unwilling to lay it on the table for examination, I am not a seeker of truth.
 
We humans are perfectly capable of saying we are willing to have our ideas examined, but we have to watch how we respond when new information is presented. Our response gives us the realty of where we are.
 
One thing I love about my close friends, some of which includes family, is that there is no topic that has to be shoved under the rug. We don't have to avoid the "sticky issues." 
 
I didn't grow up in a home where things were not discussed openly and honestly, and Curt and I have raised our girls the same way. I'm convinced it is the best way to live. I'm convinced that it is the only way we can develop deep and meaningful trusting relationships. 
 
We have to #1. not have our will running the show, i.e., be open to embrace whatever is true even if it is not what we prefer, and #2. trust each other in this mutual mindset to pursue and logically discuss any topic with a desire to come to mutual understanding, even if it takes years of study and examination.
 
May we each be truth-seekers and find friends who embrace truth along with us!
 

1 comment:

ShareThis