Thursday, October 18, 2012

What Possesses Me?


Sometimes it seems like it would be so much easier to just sit back, relax, stop thinking about things and enjoy the now, the temporary stuff. Things like entertainment, good food, shopping malls, traveling, concerts, making music, writing poetry, drinking coffee... Yes, part of me could simply lounge in the wealth that surrounds me as an American-born, healthy, happily married wife, mother, daughter, and friend, but I can't.
 
I can't, because I've heard the call of a man who said He knows the way to eternal life, and every fiber of my being is poised to try to hear what He says. I can't, because I know this life passes far too quickly, and if I only live for now, what then? I can't, because I recognize everything I enjoy remains good only as it is surrendered to my Maker for His purposes. I've come to see that everything in this life dries up, is spent, is used up, wears out, withers... fades away and dies.

I could give my mind endlessly to designing my wardrobe, redecorating my home, planning the next vacation, or shopping--just for the thrill of finding bargains, but Jesus calls me away from those pursuits.
 
Do I mean I never buy a dress, never decorate my home, never take a vacation? Of course not. But I find I cannot be possessed with those pursuits. I cannot spend more time on any of those "now" things than I do on the things of eternal value.
 
And so, I study His words:
 
31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
(Mat 6:31-33 KJV)
 
I refuse to be possessed by the endless "now" options of the day, seeking to hear and understand what He is saying,  I want to be possessed by what possesses Him, for I'm convinced He will never go away and will satisfy every longing of my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Jo at http://joryder.blogspot.com/ wrote:

    Lovely, Laura....simply lovely!


    I accidently deleted it, Jo. But thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete