Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Parent's Weekend With LaRae




I had a delightful stay with LaRae this past weekend. It was parent's weekend at the college, and since Rachelle had orchestra rehearsal Saturday, Curt stayed home with her. In the picture above, you can see Rachelle and Curt on the computer screen. Isn't Face Time wonderful?!
 
I enjoyed meeting four of LaRae's professors and got in on the first college orchestra concert Saturday evening.

LaRae's 2nd year Greek prof informed me Rae is "gifted in ancient languages." That was interesting to me. I have known for years people can be gifted in music, and I presumed a person could be in other fields, but never actually heard of someone being particularly gifted in ancient languages. 

Our sweet girl continues to excel. It appears to come pretty easily for her, but I know how diligent and consistent she is with disciplined study and careful thinking, demanding much of herself in every endeavor. I can't help but wonder how much her discipline vs. her giftedness contributes to her success.
 
When your life is characterized by a constant awareness of your immortality and of your relationship to your Creator, out of that awareness, you try to squeeze every bit of value out of every moment, and it makes you a different kind of person. You are motivated by a deep sense of purpose and hope.
 
I'm thankful for any giftedness anyone has, but I also believe that we can do a lot to develop our usefulness to our Abba no matter how "gifted" or ungifted we may be. In fact, I'm convinced it is our responsibility to do so.

 2 Peter 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
 2 Corinthians 8:7 But just as you abound in everything, in faith and utterance and knowledge and in all earnestness and in the love we inspired in you, see that you abound in this gracious work also.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you were able to spend last weekend with LaRae...and I'm glad she's doing well! =)

    ReplyDelete