Thursday, October 25, 2012

Blogging About Our Girls and Other Things

LaRae and some of her college friends
 
Several of my readers have expressed they enjoy hearing about our girls. I'm happy to share things about them. Of course, it is a natural joy to see our children do well. But, as a follower of Jesus, I am driven by a desire to be sensitive to what edifies others. I do not want to just promote myself or my family. That's not where my heart is. Stories about human achievement are a dime a dozen, and if not infused with eternal purpose, they all hold the same emptiness... gongs, clanging in the wind. I want to share things that will in some way inspire, motivate, challenge and/or encourage others who traverse this path.
 
I want to give as realistic a view as possible of who and what we are as believers. Of course, I must only share what is appropriate in this setting, and it's not always easy to know. Of one thing I am sure, it is a waste of my time and yours to laud the natural man, the flesh, the stuff that just focuses your mind on this life. Jesus's example compels me to base my worth on how God feels about me. If what I share on my blog isn't useful in some way for His purposes, I'm simply cluttering the world with ego-centered imagery and babble. My worth isn't in the accomplishments or skills of my family or myself. We are not valuable because of things we have achieved, for how we look or dress, or because we belong to a certain family, group of friends, or church. We are valuable to one another as we point each other to Jesus, as we share our journey, including struggles and successes, communicating what has worked and what hasn't in this process of becoming more in His image. I want my blogging to be a place where we learn from one another, something of real value.
So, as I continue blogging, please understand where I am in my mind. I'm human, and if I fail in this endeavor, I'll make it right as best I know how. I am always open to questions from my readers. Do not feel I am unapproachable. If something doesn't make sense to you, please ask me about it. If you are curious about particular details of our journey with regard to education at home, musical skill development, our religious beliefs, or other topics I discuss from time to time, feel free to ask.
 

Rachelle and me at her spring orchestra concert.
My daddy is in the background! :)
 
You can always email me at lauralavon@gmail.com if you are not comfortable commenting in a public forum. I consider my blog an outreach. I want it to truly edify.
 
One might ask, why, Laura, are  your daughters spending hours upon hours learning ancient languages? What do the ancient Greeks have to do with Jesus Christ and eternal things?  Maybe the answer is obvious to many of you. But no doubt, there are some who don't understand. Our girls are highly motivated to learn Greek, Hebrew, and Latin because they have seen the value of studying the Bible and related ancient writings in their respective original languages. They desire to increase their understanding of Jesus--the man they have embraced as the essence of truth--and they believe as they study the scripture and other historical writings they will continue to get a better grasp on truth.
 
We do not come from the typical "Christian" background that assumes: I've been taught the truth. Now I "have" salvation. Now, I must "take" it to everybody else. No, we have been challenged by the Apostle Paul's persepctive: 
 
"I consider everything a disadvantage in comparison with the supreme value of knowing the Messiah Yeshua as my Lord. It was because of him that I gave up everything and regard it all as garbage, in order to gain the Messiah and be found in union with him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through trust in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of trust. Yes, I gave it all up in order to know him, that is, to know the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of his sufferings as I am being conformed to his death, so that somehow I might arrive at being resurrected from the dead. It is not that I have already obtained it or already reached the goal- no, I keep pursuing it in the hope of taking hold of that for which the Messiah Yeshua took hold of me. Brothers, I, for my part, do not think of myself as having yet gotten hold of it; but one thing I do: forgetting what is behind me and straining forward toward what lies ahead, I keep pursuing the goal in order to win the prize offered by God's upward calling in the Messiah Yeshua."(Phi 3:8-14 CJB  and NAS)

As I continue sharing about our daughters from time to time, I would have you know: the deepest joy comes for me (as a mother who seeks to be a follower of Jesus) when I see my daughters choosing to place their trust in Him, having His spirit, His attitude, the heart-choice to care for others as they care for themselves. Any accomplishments they might have made fade away oh, so quickly... but as they choose to follow Him, as they choose to be motivated by a heart that says, "Father, not my will but Thine," the joy, the reward, the value goes on and on and on.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment