Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Canning Sweet Mild Salsa


What busy days these are! I spent the entire day yesterday canning salsa and cooking apples down to make freezer apple sauce. Today I'm catching up on laundry and getting various odds and ends taken care of.



The deer--those precious little herbivores--(in case you don't realize it, I'm growling!) took some nibbles from my two new young fragile apple trees after the last rain washed the deer repellent off their young branches and leaves, so I sprayed some more smelly repellent again this morning and hung soap on some fishing line from a main branch of each one. I'm hoping that deters those relentless thieves!



It's beautiful outside today! I'd love to have time to be out more, but duties call.

I tried a new salsa recipe this year, and I think we're going to love it. In case you're interested and like sweet mild salsa, I'll post it. It's a little like Walmart's Black Bean White Corn Salsa.

Sweet and Mild Canned Salsa:

INGREDIENTS:

10 cups peeled, cored, chopped fresh tomatoes

2 cups seeded and chopped fresh jalapeno peppers, or to taste

3 large sweet peppers (one yellow, one orange, one red) chopped

2 cups chopped vadalia onion

8 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I used dried a little less than ½ cup)

1 3/4 T. salt

3/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1/3 cup fresh lime juice

4 T. Sugar

2 cans black beans

3-4 cups frozen corn

1 can creamed corn (I accidentally opened this so I added it, and it was fine!)

DIRECTIONS:

(Note: I put the peppers, onion, and tomatoes through the food processor in small batches and gave them a few pulses until I had the consistency I wanted. )

Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes. Pour hot salsa into hot pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Seal jars with two piece caps. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment