Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Blackberry Pies and Dinner Rolls


LaRae made this delicious and beautiful blackberry pie this morning! I am not normally a berry-pie lover, but this one hooked me. It was just the Betty Crocker cookbook filling recipe, but she used Grandma Bailey's pie crust recipe and even added a milk-egg yolk brush on the crust; it turned out wonderfully. Yesterday, we put up sixteen quarts of squash... that's only the first major picking! I quickly made up a batch of buns this morning since I knew we wanted cold sandwiches for lunch. It is so hot, none of us want much warm food. I have settled finally on one bread recipe for buns, dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls, etc. It is from my dear friend, Lora. She shared it with me years ago, and I liked it, but I'm notorious for always trying new recipes, so I had ventured around the world for various bread recipes before I came back just recently and decided hers is my favorite. It made awesome buns for chicken salad today. I'll share the recipe with you in case you want to try it.
Lora's Dinner Rolls

2 1/4 tsp yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup milk
3 cups flour (you may want an extra 1/8 or so if it is too sticky)
I sometimes do 2 cups white 1 cup whole wheat flour.

Combine yeast, water, and a little of the sugar out of the 1/4 cup.
Let stand until bubbly.

Mix together egg, rest of sugar and salt.
Add warmed oil and milk mixture.
Add yeast mixture.
Add flour.
Kneed by hand.
 (I use my electric mixer dough hook to kneed it for 6 minutes after it's mixed well.)

Let rise in covered greased bowl for about an hour or until doubled.
Shape as desired and let rise about 30 more minutes.
Bake at 350 from 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
(In my oven, 375 for 15 minutes worked well today on these buns.)



Happy 4th tomorrow!
I say that with a deep sadness in my heart as I observe the direction our nation is headed.
I fear that what Tocqueville wrote long ago is transpiring just as he predicted...
Here are a few of the quotes from his book, Democracy in America:

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.”
Alexis de Tocqueville
 
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.”
Alexis de Tocqueville
 
“America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”
Alexis de Tocqueville

“When the taste for physical gratifications among them has grown more rapidly than their education . . . the time will come when men are carried away and lose all self-restraint . . . . It is not necessary to do violence to such a people in order to strip them of the rights they enjoy; they themselves willingly loosen their hold. . . . they neglect their chief business which is to remain their own masters.”
Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America, Volume

These quotes come from this website.

No comments:

Post a Comment