Sunday, September 25, 2011

No Happier Tears


I just watched my daughter drive down the driveway. She is off to college again.
She has a month of classes behind her and is completely at peace about the college she has chosen.

Her leaving hit me differently this time.
You see, tears were welling up in her eyes as she walked out the door;
It was drizzling outside; she was facing a seven-hour drive all alone.

I was pretty sure I understood what she was feeling as she walked out the door... I remember the pain of leaving the safe haven of home, going into a world where few embrace Christ in His fullness. I remember the loneliness of the drive back to campus, the teeth-gritting adjustment. I also recall how those difficult days made me come to grips with who I was, what I believed, and where I was going to take my life.

I remembered, and I cried for her. At the same moment, I realized life has ripped her away from my protection, that I have had to surrender that responsibility to Abba.

 

I prayed, placed her in His hands--again, and rested; I fell asleep on the couch.

Then the phone rang. It was my girl!
She was at her first stop and wanted to tell me something.

"Momma," she said, swallowing the lump in her throat, "This is good for me.
I am learning to personally trust Jesus. It is easier when I am with you all. It's safe there and easy. But this is good for me."

My tears won't stop now. But they are happy tears, happier tears than I have ever cried!
Some things we cannot do for our children. If they are to become all they can be in Christ, we are demanded to let go. It can be scary and painful. Is it worth it? YES!

My heart sings a song of joy, of thanksgiving, of praise to Jesus.
"...he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it." (Mat 10:39 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment