Friday, October 19, 2007

No Doom and Gloom Here

I can’t seem to get enough of the good things Elisabeth Elliot has to say in The Music of His Promises! When I read the New Testament and see that Jesus praised people for their trust in Him—more than anything else, I cannot help but believe that TRUSTING HIM is where my walk is grounded! I have found that truly trusting Him is life-changing!
These days, I hear so much doom and gloom, prediction and acceptance of failure, inability to overcome the weaknesses and sins which so easily do beset us. I don’t get that message from Jesus! (And in case you’re wondering about my attitude when I bold such statements, I just get excited about walking with Him!) He doesn’t say, “Well, you can try, but you’ll never overcome. You’re just too depraved to live the way I am teaching...” No! On the contrary, He says “if your eye offends you, pluck it out!” The Revelation says again and again, “If you overcome...”, “to him who overcomes...”
Friends, if we expect to fail, we will. If all we feed ourselves is the modern (non-biblical) teaching that we will always keep sinning, you can be sure, we will. Thanks be to God that with His help we can choose to be overcomers!
Such Cowards
There is much emphasis today on empathizing with others’ feelings, and on the candid confession or expression of those feelings. Jesus was “touched with the feeling of our infirmities” (Heb. 4:15). He was not a high priest, “unable to sympathize with our weaknesses” (Heb. 4:15). But we need to be reminded of what His responses were to people’s feelings. For example, when the disciples panicked because a storm was sending waves right over the boat they were in, Jesus’ first response to their desperate, “Save us, Lord, we’re sinking!” was, “Why are you such cowards?” Cowardliness reveals faithlessness. “Why is it that you have no faith?” was Jesus’ next question.
Medical science has discovered many connections between psychological stress and physical maladies. Fear is perhaps one of the most destructive emotions. The knowledge that Jesus is in the boat with us ought to put us at rest—even if waves are breaking right over us. (I love this!) Let’s not be such cowards! Let’s trust Him. He’s got the whole world and even the wind, even the waves, even my problems-in His hand!”

-Elisabeth Elliot in The Music of His Promises (emphasis added)

2 comments:

  1. Our pastor preached a wonderful sermon called "Principles for Change" on 9/23. You might be interested in going back in the archives of our church's web site to view. I immediately thought of it while reading this post.
    I read that book some time ago. I think I'll pull it back out and read it again. Lots of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Kayla! I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete