Monday, September 17, 2007

More To This Life

my eyes open
reality hits
it’s monday morning…
another day filled with responsibility
work goes on--
can’t i just rest from it all?

i look over and see
the faithful man lying beside me
in a little while he’ll go to the office
he’ll work hard to provide for us

i think of the little ladies down the hall
that man, those little girls are all depending on me

in a few hours we girls will travel with dear friends
the 80 miles to violin lessons
they need me
others need me
i need them

God, I need You!
Since You came to Earth
And showed us what matters
We can find meaning
We can have hope
We can have purpose

Help me remember that there’s more to this life--
That carrying my cross, doing my duty
Is what pleases You, what gives me purpose
I’m so thankful I’ve learned to trust in You.

After talking with God,
I jump out of bed
Turn the CD player on
And start a song—

Music is a powerful tool
Thank you, God, for it!
The words start to reverberate through the house…

“Today I watched in silence as people passed me by
And I strained to see if there was something hidden in their eyes
But they all looked back to me as if to say
Life just goes on
The old familiar story told in different ways
Make the most of your journey from the cradle to the grave
Dream your dreams tomorrow because today
Life must go on

But there’s more to this life than just living and dying
More than just trying to make it through the day
More to this life, more than these eyes alone can see
And there’s more than this life alone can be

Tonight he lies in silence staring into space
And looks for ways to make tomorrow better than today
But in the morning light it looks the same
Life just goes on
He takes care of his family; he takes care of his work
And every Sunday morning he takes his place at the church
And somehow he still feels a need to search
But life just goes on

But there’s more to this life than just living and dying
More than just trying to make it through the day
More to this life, more than these eyes alone can see
And there’s more than this life alone can be

So where do we start to find every part
Of what makes this life complete
If we turn our eyes to Jesus we’ll find
Life’s true beginning is there at the cross where He died
He died to bring us

More to this life than just living and dying
More than just trying to make it through the day
More to this life, more than these eyes alone can see
And there’s more than this life alone can be”


From More to This Life by Steven Curtis Chapman

Joy fills my heart, and I happily pursue my duties.

8 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing the happy thoughts. :D love ya and miss ya already! take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post!!!! I loved it!! You are quite the poet!!

    I, too, like the words to that song! And so thankful for the truth!!

    Keep those great thoughts coming!! Hope you have a blessed week!!

    Love,
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so easy to get caught up in the day in, day out responsibilies.
    Thanks for reminding us of what gives us purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, I needed this post today. Rough day homeschooling... I just felt like throwing in the towel... but that's never an option. Thanks for the reminder that it's not about me... and I can never do anything on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, I enjoy your thoughts. You have an ability to keep perspective that is incredibly important and inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, my blogging friends, for stopping by and for letting me know I'm not the only one who has those kinds of stuggles to work through! It comforts the heart to know one is not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good thoughts, good song...
    Really like the fall quote and pic. as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura;

    Really enjoyed this post. That song goes through my head quite often. What a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete