Sunday, September 23, 2007

Caramel Recipe



Here is one of our favorite recipes. I make these in the fall and for Christmas. When fresh, crisp apples are about ready to pick, I get a hankerin' for homemade caramels. You just can't beat them!

1 cup butter
2 cups light corn syrup
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 (15 oz.) cans sweetened condensed milk
½ cup flour (prevents stickiness)
Nuts, if desired

*Before you start, you must stir constantly or this WILL stick and burn. I use a non-stick pan and I make sure my flour and milk are mixed and everything is set out, measured, and ready to go before I start the heating/stirring process.

In a heavy saucepan, melt butter; add corn syrup and sugar. Boil 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add 1½ cans sweetened condensed milk. Mix flour with remaining milk, then add to corn syrup-sugar mixture.
Boil until mixture darkens and forms a medium hard ball (240°).

Add vanilla (and nuts, if desired) and pour into buttered 9x13x2 inch glass dish. Allow to cool. Cut into 1-inch pieces with sharp buttered knife. Wrap pieces in small squares of waxed paper. Makes about 5 dozen. You can dip then in melted chocoalte if you like!
ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe Laura! Looks so delicious. I look forward to trying it.
    Love the mums and punkin' too!

    ReplyDelete