Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Can't Get Enough of the Real

I can’t get enough reality--real people, real truth, real things. As a child, I was enamored with fantasy, with images, with romance—the stuff that takes you out of reality. As I’ve aged, I’ve grown to love the real. I recognize that finding it in completion takes a life time, and that only in eternity will we not “see through a glass darkly.” But I’m ever pursuing it. Reality is so much more fulfilling than fantasy.

I want to know and engage real people. They are the ones who want truth and have given themselves over to Jesus Christ. They are the ones who will stand by you, believe in you, tell you (lovingly) when you have erred, help you get back on your feet, learn and grow with you as you travel this journey--understanding and aligning your life with what's real. Relationships with real people are filled with more than fantasy, imagery, or romance could ever bring. Those relationships bring satisfaction day after day after day.

I want to know reality…truth…the way things really are. I want to understand reality so that I can live in it. I believe there is truth…reality to be had, and I believe Jesus Christ knows it. I love what He was as a man and what He is, as depicted in the scripture. I want to reflect Him and draw others to Him.

I want to surround myself with real things--things which reflect what is truly valuable. I enjoy a beautiful home and yard, but only because He is felt in them…His order and symmetry, His care and creativity, His welcome and warmth.

Yes, I can’t get enough of reality, because there are always those with a facade. There is always that which is not true. There are always meaningless things in this life. Truly, I am blessed. I have found real people. I have found what I believe to be the source of truth. I have found how things can be endowed with meaning.

“And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32

Thanks be to God.

6 comments:

  1. Oooooh, wow! This is definitely a favorite post from this blog. Great distinctions. Really a great perspective on maturity in many ways. I loved all things fantasy as a child as well. Can't say I've completely outgrown it (I think some of that is just our innate 'female-ness'!), but I can still relate to a growing hunger for the real. Not only to seek it out in others, but to portray it myself. Facades are exhausting. Anyway...thanks for sharing....and thanks for the beautiful music to read by, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post too! I'm another childhood 'fantasizer' who still fights against the weakness. But I do love reality! I love life! Isn't God awesome?!!

    love ya! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good writing..and sooo true!
    I think there is so much "escapism" in our culture today because by losing God as the "center", people have lost the core of any reality...how sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your good thoughts! I, too, want to "reflect Him" in my life!

    I really enjoy the beautiful music you have on your blog, as well as the pretty "front steps" picture and fall quote!! What a beautiful time of the year. As a child, I used to dread the fall season, but now, I think it is such a beautiful time of the year!!

    Thank you so much for sharing pictures from your grandmother's funeral. Looking forward to talking to you about your trip.

    I'm sorry you had to miss the "4D" trip! You would have loved it!!

    Hope you are feeling better!! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful post. Thanks for the reminder that "reality is so much more fulfilling than fantasy".
    Thanks so much for your comments on my blog. I love getting your feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ladies,
    Your comments were all so good. It is always refreshing to be reminded that we have kindred spirits!
    Tara, your statement that "facades are exhausting" pegged it.
    Kimberly, how true that without God, we lose reality and escapism follows.
    Glad we're in this journey together!

    ReplyDelete