Monday, May 14, 2007

Variety and Refreshment

God is so wise to design a day of rest and refreshment for us--just one more way He shows His love and care. And speaking of His design, these spring days are invigorating, aren't they? I used to prefer fall -- the crisp, bittersweet essence of it--but spring becomes more enticing as I age, partly because I enjoy yard work so much. Actually, I love variety most, because even real cold winter (with lots of snow to play in) is something in which I revel. Sometimes I think about the seasons, the variety, the beauty, and then I stop to wonder, if it is this wonderful after Adam and Eve's "fall", how unbelievably awesome was it before? I can't even imagine.

Friday evening and part of Saturday, Curt & I got lots of yard work done. Saturday afternoon, I took the girls to Carbondale (1.5 hours away-where violin/orchestra takes place most Mondays) to audition for a summer music camp scholarship. Sunday morning, we had three (non-mothers) out for White Chocolate-Blueberry scones, fruit, and, of course, good, rich coffee! We enjoyed a beautiful morning on the front porch before going to church together. Sunday noon, a smaller-than-normal group came out for lunch on the porch, and then we were all off to an afternoon rally at our church camp near Effingham. All the wonderful fellowship and learning/worshipping together was refreshing and inspiring.



Curt lead Sunday school Sunday morning since my brother was out of town. We found an interesting article online http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/mayweb-only/119-12.0.html which we read together and discussed. BTW, it's worth reading, even as a lesson in debate. It's amazing what the "intellectuals" of our day consider top rate thinking. I must say, "if the blind lead the blind, they all end up in the ditch."

Lord, please help me learn to think, unhindered by an agenda of what I want to be true, in a way that is careful and logical, the way Jesus thought. Help me start in the right place, avoid tangents, and end up where I should.

Today, I spent a lot of the morning reading (and rereading) through the first four chapters of The Well Educated Mind. I enjoyed actually being able to really concentrate, take notes, look up a few unfamiliar words and "get it". I got several loads of laundry done in the meantime, helped on a math problem or two, fixed lunch, got supper in the crock pot, answered several phone calls along with numerous questions from my girls. Our "Great Book" discussion group has grown to four. Courthouse Coffee Shop, here we come! I'd much prefer Joe Sipper's, but we may not be able to venture that far. I think it's time to open our own long-desired Coffee House. How 'bout it gals?

In case you want to try them, here is the recipe for:

White Chocolate-blueberry Scones

3 Cups flour 1/2 cup plus 2 T. sugar, divided
1 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
3/4 cup plus 1 T. milk, divided
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 T. grated lemon peel
1 cup frozen blueberries
8 oz. white chocolate chips

PREHEAT oven to 375. Mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar, the baking powder and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender to coarse crumbs. Add 3/4 cup milk, the egg and lemon peel; stir just until mixture forms dough. Stir in frozen blueberries and chocolate chips.

DIVIDE dough in half. On lightly floured surface, pat each half into a round, 9 inches diameter and 1 inch thick. Cut each round into 8 wedges. Place wedges on ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining 2 T. milk and sprinkle with 2 T. sugar.

BAKE 25 minutes, or until golden brown.  For icing, mix up 1 cup confectioners sugar, 2 T. milk, and 1 tsp vanilla. Drizzle over each one and serve warm.

7 comments:

  1. Laura,
    Thank you for the yummy breakfast on such a beautiful morning! You are so thoughtful! I'm excited to try the recipe!!! Have a wonderful day!
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura;

    Thanks for recipe. I will send you the photo of the kids when I get home. (I'm at C21 right now.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet, encouraging brunch idea..and the recipe looks so good!! (And I'm envious of your mulch source:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Toots for your comment on my blog. It's not that I think that our children are nicer looking than other children....it's just that they get sooo much attention b/c of their lighter skin, hair, and eyes in this country. What I didn't tell you that was SPOOKY to me...was the 2 men that got on our bus Sunday night. One guy saw my oldest daughters eyes and got the other guys attention and pointed to his eyes and then nodded for him to turn around and see my K. They did thumbs-up signs to each other and smiled and were impressed...AND SHE IS ONLY 9! UGH! But, God is going to protect them, and help them to find the right mates some day with whom they can serve Jesus.

    Heather~ =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks also for the recipe...I was fixin' to ask for it, and then I saw you had typed it out. =)

    They look yummy! And your brunch looked so fun and special and delicious!!

    Have a wonderful day,
    Heather =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you sent us your blog... we'll visit often. The girls only have 15 days of school left YIPEE! Summer is as much for Mommies too, don't you think?! we love and appreciate you all and your friendship. I've strawberries to work up... so better run. Lovingly, Laura Hausman, Salonta, Romania

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura,
    How nice to hear from you via my blog! I'm so glad I noticed this post had a new comment. I made your/Heather's strawberry sconces this morning. They were delicious! Thanks for passing that recipe on! It has been great getting to chat with Heather via blogs too!
    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete