Thursday, May 17, 2007

Back on the Prairie

I was cleaning house this morning, when I looked out and saw my girls working away at what they called a "labor-saving" device. They have a Zip-line they ride out of the tree house, and LaRae had rigged up a box on it, so that she could haul her grass collection up. She thought she would "dry it up there".


Yesterday after school, she mowed an area in which she plans to plant popcorn. After mowing this quite-tall grassy area, she raked up some, for...well, I really don't know what she has in mind, something she has read in one of her books. I'm afraid it'll end up as some sort of nest for some critter, but that's beside the point.

My girls are almost done with school, and they had to spend their spring break (working) at IHC, so I've given them a day (once in a while) to compensate. Today is one of those days. It's gorgeous outside! Once the weather is hot, muggy, and buggy, they will stay inside most of the time. They don't like that weather, especially horseflies! Anyway, if they need to, they'll do the last few days of school when the weather is no longer pleasant.

LaRae, in her favorite pioneer garb, would go back in time and be a pioneer were it possible. I've tried to tell her how hard it would be, and she does believe me, but she enjoys imagining that that would be the life. Rachelle just goes along for the ride. She likes building a fire and driving the "cart," but cringes at all the "just try it" foods her sister cooks over the fire. They are boiling water for something, I think washing their dishes. Their "horse and wagon/cart" awaits nearby in all its battery-powered glory.

I just got summoned. The desire is to go to an antique store to look for "some items." I happen to know that a butter churn is on the list. I see a store-stop for cream as well. What's a mom to do? They learn so much from their books, by looking up how-to-items online, and then trying it all out in their play. I'll just deal with the blackened (old) pans, the tough-to-swallow "tastes" of Laura Ingalls Wilder delicacies, and the smelly, smokey clothes that will immediately go in the wash once they're back from the prairie!

11 comments:

  1. aww! so cute! it sounds like they are having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww! so cute! it sounds like they are having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops my bad.... not sure how to delete comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unschooling at it's finest! What fun! And you know they're making great memories...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Gals, for stopping by. It's so nice to hear from you.

    I tried to delete the extra one too, Esther, and haven't figured out how to do it yet. No biggy. : )

    Karla,
    Aren't we blessed to be able to truly "educate" our children? I'm thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was enthralled with the Ingalls books too..one of my favorite Christmas gifts was when Mom had my great-grandfather's trunk (filled w/tools in grandpa's shed)redone for me and sitting by the Christmas tree. (around the time I was reading those books.) I felt like a settler:) Beautiful pics. of your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute...that's neat that your girls still play like that...I do want my girls to grow up (for if not, they would not be normal)...but not really fast! =)

    I made your scones this morning for breakfast and they were yummy. Thanks for the recipe!!

    Love, Heather =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds cool. I'm just a bit jealous of your children. I wouldn't mind trying some of that myself. The thought of a fire in a suburban area -- well, I'm afraid it was out of the question when I was growing up. Even moreso now in the middle of the city! I know they will always cherish these memories -- wherever they may go as they grow up. Blessings on you for giving them such beautiful days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim, Heather, and Sonja,
    I was delighted today when I saw that I had three more comments; they weren't showing up because I had wrongly changed the "moderate comments" setting. I intended to set it up so that I was able to delete comments if they were accidently repeated. Sorry! Thanks so much for stopping by. It is always so nice to hear from you and know you care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What ingenious and creative young ladies!! I love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anytime your prarie girls need taste testers, I've got a couple of settlers down here who would proabably eat about anything, well the youngest would anyway. :)

    I agree with Heather though, I love how spiritually mature your gilrs are, but so unrushed in the "growing up" area. What a nice balance.

    ReplyDelete