Friday, April 27, 2007

The Examined Life

Socrates, the ancient Greek philosopher, is quoted to have said, "The unexamined life is not worth living." I think he was on to something. Some 20 years ago, I was made aware of the fact that I had the potential to be dishonest with myself. That was a revelation that started me on a new path. It changed me as I began honestly questioning my actions, my motives, and then my values. As I looked, I saw my actions didn't always follow what I said I valued. Wow! That's tough to face, but what joy follows when you see the light and walk in it. That process continues and is now a joy-filled journey. Well...OK, at times it has that bittersweet quality of life about it, but I've learned to love that too. As I recognize my fallen state, holding tenaciously to my trust that God sent Jesus to make the difference, and making choices to "renew my mind" as His word instructs, I find joy. I believe His example and unseen presence enables me to see the truth and walk in it. I ache for the world around me, those who don't know what it is to live a carefully examined and honest life before God. My husband often says, "God made us. He knows how we work best. His Word is the instruction manual. As we honestly strive to understand ourselves in light of that instruction manual, we learn how we were meant to work." Isn't that so true?

7 comments:

  1. Very good quotes!!! Thank you for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet pictures of the girls!! Re: the earlier picture: I think the girls were about that age when I first met them. My, how time flies!! Thanks for raising two wonderful young ladies! They are a blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toots; (I love calling you that)

    I so enjoyed your inspiring blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gals are so inspiring and encouraging. Thanks for visiting my blog, for sharing your thoughts, for being my friends! I'm blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. True and thought-provoking blog..words to take into daily life...and loved the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura,

    I'm assuming you remember me from Mode Camp a few years back! I saw your blog on Julia's and just wanted to drop by and say 'hello'!
    Your latest post was REALLY good, and worth re-reading. It is crucial to recognize that ability we have to be dishonest with ourselves. You made me stop and think about it today. Thank you!

    Blessings,
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tara,
    I have enjoyed visiting your blog, but didn't know if you'd remember me, and I realized I'm sort of a privileged onlooker as you girls who attended college together get reconnected. Thanks for sharing your life. I'll feel more comfortable to comment now that you've been so welcoming! I knew Kimberly from way back when I traveled with Gessners, so I felt a little freer to chime in on her cyber space. This is so enjoyable!
    Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete